On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 26 03 Hypothalamus (1-6) Below
Begin 26 03 Hypothalamus (1-6) Transcription
Part 6, the hypothalamus. Please refer to figure 6.1 for this section.
The hypothalamus is a division of what brain structure?
- The diencephalon.
Where is the hypothalamus located?
- It is located beneath the thalamus on either side of the third ventricle.
The hypothalamus is involved in the maintenance of what overall function? In the maintenance of homeostasis.
Now the hypothalamus is involved in the maintenance of homeostasis through regulation of what two systems?
- The autonomic nervous system and the endocrine.
Now the hypothalamus can be divided into two major groups depending upon their action on two different parts of the nervous system.
What are these two major divisions of the hypothalamic nuclei?
The anterior hypothalamic nuclei and the posterior hypothalamic nuclei.
The anterior hypothalamic nuclei have what effect on which nervous system?
- The anterior hypothalamic nuclei have an excitatory effect on the parasympathetic nervous system.
The posterior hypothalamic nuclei have what effect on which nervous system?
- The psosterior hypothalamic nuclei have an excitatory effect on the sympathetic nervous system.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here