On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 27 07 The Cerebellum Below
Begin 27 07 The Cerebellum Transcription
Number twelve: The cerebellum.
The cerebellum develops from what structure?
- From the roof of the rhombencephalon.
In general terms, what is the cerebellum involved in?
- It is involved in the planning of movements before they are initiated.
The cerebellum contains a vermis in the middle and two lateral hemispheres. Please refer to figure 12.1.
What is the function of the anterior lobe?
- The anterior lobe is involved in the regulation of muscle tone as well as coarse movements of the head and the body.
What is another name for the anterior lobe related to its phylogenetic origin?
- The paleocerebellum.
What is the function of the posterior lobe?
- The posterior lobe is involved in the coordination of voluntary motor activity.
What is another name for the posterior lobe in terms of its phylogenetic origin?
- The neocerebellum.
Now, what is the function of the flocculonodular lobe?
- The flocculonodular lobe is involved in the maintenance of posture and balance.
What is another name for the flocculonodular lobe in terms of its phylogenetic origin?
- The archicerebellum.
All right, now let’s take a look at cerebellar pathways.
What is the function of the paravermal spinocerebellar pathway?
- The paravermal spinocerebellar pathway maintains muscle tone and postural control over the dorsal muscle groups.
What is the function of the lateral hemispheric cerebellar pathway?
- The lateral hemispheric cerebellar pathway is involved in the initiation, planning, and timing of voluntary muscle activity.
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here