On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 27 08 Lesions to the Cerebellum Below
Begin 27 08 Lesions to the Cerebellum Transcription
Now let’s look at lesions to the cerebellum.
Student doctor, what is the cause of the hemispheric syndrome?
- The hemispheric syndrome is caused either by brain tumors or brain abscess.
Now, brain tumor or brain abscesses causing the hemispheric syndrome are frequently unilateral or bilateral?
- They are frequently unilateral
And, the brain tumors or brain abscesses causing hemispheric syndrome usually result in cerebellar signs that are ipsilateral or contralateral to the lesion?
- Ipsilateral to the lesion.
Please give some examples of cerebellar signs observed in the hemispheric syndrome?
- Dystaxias in the arms, legs, trunk, or gait.
Student doctor, what is the usual cause of the anterior vermis syndrome?
- The anterior vermis syndrome is caused by atrophy of the rostral vermis.
And what is the most frequent cause of atrophy of the rostral vermis?
- Alcohol abuse.
What is the disease inherited as an autosomal recessive disorder and characterized by the degeneration of the dorsal columns, corticospinal tracts, spinocerebellar tracts, and dentate nuclei?
- This is Friedrich’s ataxia.
All right, let’s turn that around. What is the inheritance of Friedrich’s ataxia?
- It is autosomal recessive.
Friedrich’s ataxia is characterized by degeneration of what four tracts, columns, or nuclei, and please pause if you wish. Friedrich’s ataxia is characterized by the degeneration of the dorsal columns, the corticospinal tracts, the spinocerebellar tracts, and the dentate nuclei.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here