On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 58 08 Fluid Compartments Below
Begin 58 08 Fluid Compartments Transcription
Now let’s talk about fluid compartments of the body.
Total body water accounts for what percent of body weight for young men?
- About sixty percent.
What percent of body weight does total body water account for in young women?
- About fifty percent.
How does more body fat affect this percentage?
- With increased body fat, totally body water accounts for a lower percentage of body weight.
What effect does age have on the percentage?
- As a person ages, the percentage also decreases.
What are the two main fluid compartments of the body?
- Extracellular fluid and intracellular fluid or ECF and ICF are the two main fluid compartments of the body.
What is intracellular fluid?
- Intracellular fluid is the fluid inside tissue cells.
About what percent of body weight is intracellular fluid?
- Forty percent.
And extracellular fluid?
- About twenty percent of body weight is extracellular fluid.
Alphabetically, list the three subcompartments of the extracellular fluid. I’ll cue you with the first letter of each.
- Interstitial fluid.
and third TF.
- Transcellular fluid.
Which one of these is the fluid between tissue cells?
- Interstitial fluid.
What is plasma?
- Plasma is the fluid part of blood.
What percent of body weight is interstitial fluid?
- Fifteen to sixteen percent.
What percent of body weight is plasma?
- About four percent.
What percent of body weight is transcellular fluid?
- About 1.5%.
Name four transcellular fluids alphabetically. I’ll cue you with the first letters of each.
- Cerebrospinal fluid.
- Peritoneal fluid,
and third, PF again.
- Pleural fluid and fourth, SF. Synovial fluid.
Which one of these transcellular fluids serves as a joint lubricant?
- Synovial fluid.
Student doctor, please pause the tape and summarize what we’ve discussed about the various fluid compartments of the body and what percent of body weight they comprise.
Total body water accounts for about sixty percent of body weight for young men and for young women the percentage is about fifty percent. Increased body fat or increased age lowers this percentage. Extracellular fluid and intracellular fluid, or ECF and ICF, are the two main fluid compartments of the body. Intracellular fluid, which is about forty percent of body weight, is the fluid inside tissue cells. Extracellular fluid is about twenty percent of body weight. The three subcompartments of extracellular fluid are interstitial fluid, plasma, and transcellular fluid. Interstitial fluid, which is the fluid between tissue cells, comprises fifteen to sixteen percent of body weight. Plasma, the fluid part of blood, comprises about four percent of body weight and transcellular fluid, about 1.5%. Cerebrospinal fluid, peritoneal fluid, pleural fluid, and synovial fluid, which serves as a joint lubricant, are all transcellular fluids.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here