On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 58 20 Substances Reabsorbed/Secreted By the Nephron Below
Begin 58 20 Substances Reabsorbed/Secreted By the Nephron Transcription
67% or two-thirds of total nephron reabsorption of what two substances occurs in the proximal convoluted tubule?
- Sodium and water.
List two substances that are completely or almost completely reabsorbed by the proximal tubule.
- The amino acids and glucose.
Alphabetically list five other substances reabsorbed in the proximal tubule. I’ll cue you with the first letter of each.
What does the proximal convoluted tubule secrete? It starts with an A.
- The proximal convoluted tubule secretes ammonia.
What is actively secreted by the proximal straight tubule?
- PAH, para-aminohippuric acid.
Student doctor, please pause the tape and summarize what we’ve discussed about reabsorption and secretion in the proximal tubule.
- Two-thirds or 67% of total nephron reabsorption of sodium and water occurs in the proximal convoluted tubule. The amino acids and the glucose are completely or almost completely reabsorbed by the proximal tubule. Bicarbonate, chloride, lactase, phosphate, and potassium are also reabsorbed by the proximal tubule. The proximal convoluted tubule secretes ammonia. The proximal straight tubule actively secretes para-aminohippuric acid or PAH.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here