On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s continue our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 02 22 Anatomy Carcinoma of the Tongue Below
Begin 02 22 Anatomy Carcinoma of the Tongue Transcription
Ok, were going to touch on a few more important points before we leave the oral cavity.
What is the name for the type of saliva which is more watery, is high in electrolytes and proteins, and its main purpose is dilution and digestion?
What is the name for the type of saliva that is tough, stringy, thick, does not contain much in the way of electrolytes or protein, and has a lubricating function?
In general, what type of gland are the salivary glands?
What is the name for the berry shaped glands within the salivary glands that fill up their lumen with saliva, and then that is squeezed out by contraction?
Which of the salivary glands is composed entirely of serous acini?
- The parotid.
Which of the salivary glands is a mixed, predominantly serous gland, but it also has mucous acini?
- The submandibular gland.
And which of the salivary glands is a mixed, predominantly mucous gland, but it also has some serous acini?
- The sublingual gland.
And which gland on the tongue is an almost pure mucous gland?
- The anterior lingual gland.
Finally, in terms of ductal system – What do the parotid gland and the submandibular gland both have in common?
- Intercalated ducts and secretory tubules.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here