On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 25 15 Supramarginal Gyrus, Visual Cortices Below
Begin 25 15 Supramarginal Gyrus, Visual Cortices Transcription
What would be the results of a lesion to the supramarginal gyrus?
- This is area 40 on your illustration. Conduction aphasia, ideational and facial apraxia.
Now what is ideational apraxia?
- Ideational apraxia is the inability to demonstrate the use of objects.
And student doctor, what is facial apraxia?
- Facial apraxia is the inability to perform facial-oral movement on commands.
And what would be the result of a lesion to the primary visual cortex?
- Area 17 on your illustration. Visual field defects.
And what would be the result of a lesion to the secondary and tertiary visual cortices?
- Areas 18 and 19. Visual hallucinations.
Student doctor, what if the visual association cortex, area 39 on your illustration, is affected?
- Consider the visual radiation first. If the lesion to the visual association cortex affects the visual radiation, the result will be contralateral homonymous hemianopia. Or, lower quadrantanopia resulting.
Now consider the same scenario with the dominant hemisphere. If the lesion affects the dominant hemisphere of the visual association cortex, Gertsmann syndrome results.
Student doctor, what four signs comprise Gertsmann syndrome. The four parts of Gertsmann syndrome are right-left disorientation, finger agnosia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here