On these “Gold Standard Step 1 Facts” pages you will find Free:
- USMLE Audio Review files from our “Gold Standard USMLE Reviews”
- Transcriptions of those files
- And videos (as they become available)
The idea is that you can review for the USMLE online by:
- Listening to the Audio
- Following along with the transcription
- Or by watching the video (if available)
If you like what you here, you can purchase the entire Gold Standard Step 1 MP3 audio USMLE review for your iPhone, iPod, or computer here.
Let’s start our USMLE Review with Anatomy from the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review program.
Play USMLE Audio MP3 25 18 Broca’s, Wernicke’s, Arcuate Fasciculus, Corpus Callosum Below
Begin 25 18 Broca’s, Wernicke’s, Arcuate Fasciculus, Corpus Callosum Transcription
A lesion to Broca’s speech area, these are areas 44 and 45 on the illustration, results in a type of motor aphasia. Student doctor, what are the characteristics of Broca’s aphasia. Broca’s aphasia, also referred to as motor aphasia, or expressive, or anterior aphasia is characterized by agrammatic, telegraphic speech with unimpaired comprehension.
Now, a lesion to Wernicke’s speech area results in Wernicke’s aphasia. Student doctor, what are the characteristics of Wernicke’s aphasia?
- Wernicke’s aphasia is also referred to as sensory, receptive, fluent, and posterior aphasia. The speech of patients with Wernicke’s aphasia is fluent, but incoherent. These patients are unable to comprehend their own language or that of others.
Student doctor, what would be the result of a lesion to the arcuate fasciculus?
- Conduction aphasia.
Spend a moment to explain conduction aphasia. In conduction aphasia, as can result from a lesion to the arcuate fasciculus, comprehension and speech production are not greatly affected. However, there is difficulty in repeating phrases.
Now, what would be the result of a lesion in the corpus callosum?
- A lesion of the splenium causes left hemidyslexia.
****END OF TRANSCRIPTION****
Want More USMLE Step 1 Review Facts?
- Download the complete 82 Hour Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review Here
- Find the complete list of Gold Standard Step 1 USMLE Facts Here